« [w] Lois, incidentally? Is so on my List. | Main | Also? No Bun Bun. And that's just for the best. »

Eric: I had just assumed Andina would rez her, anyway....

(From Casey and Andy. Click on the thumbnail for full sized M. Night Shyamalan's What a TWIST!)

I have to admit, I got caught by surprise by this one. Not so much that someone killed Kasor (my money had been on a still-injured Quantum Cop shooting Kasor in the throat again, what since he was in an anti-magic shell and all but gunpowder will still work), but that Milligawain turned out to be morality-reversed from his counterpart -- and that his plots and plans were designed to get the queen to marry him.

Which is pretty cool, all told.

This whole plotline was good -- and not just because it was yet more evidence that Jenn is the protagonist of the story (though in this particular story, she was more the plot than the resolution). It's probably for the best that Weir alternates between the plotlines and long stretch of gag-a-day; he does both really well, and I'm sure the alternating sides keep everything fresh for him.

Now, the only remaining question is whether Kasor has Casey and Andy's capacity to be regularly and horribly killed and then just show up afterward. (If so, I'd say he's going to have his job changed to Evil Grand Vizier.) In either case, I've enjoyed the fantasy trip (now how's that for an obscure RPG reference?) and look forward to whatever's next.

Apropos of nothing, we've had a major shakeup at work on the heels of my illness over the weekend. I'm worn so thin you can see light through my forearms, and I'm going to need severe patching with outing flannel to remain soft and untattered. I'm sorry it's been such a nonexistent week here at Websnark -- I promise it's not you. I still like you.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at May 11, 2005 11:42 PM

Comments

Comment from: thok posted at May 12, 2005 1:27 AM

You realize, of course, that if Milligawain does marry Queen Jena, he'll have gained control of the kingdom in spite of himself.

Comment from: Shelby Reiches posted at May 12, 2005 1:41 AM

Knowing Andy, there's always the possibility that this is yet another false resolution, and that Milligawain really is evil.

Comment from: arscott posted at May 12, 2005 1:43 AM

Probably not, all things considered. This isn't a medieval fantasy kingdom, It's a d20 fantasy kingdom. The latter tend to be a bit more progressive about female monarchs.

Comment from: Brian posted at May 12, 2005 1:55 AM

First, let me just say that I only discovered "Casey and Andy" through Websnark. You know the drill: Reader of "Liberty Meadows," which led me to "PvP," which linked to Websnark for the first of several entries about Kurtz's characterization...and that week was the week that this "Casey and Andy" strip got snarked. And that strip was all it took to make me a fan of the whole darn enterprise -- I've not really participated in the forums much or sent e-mails or anything, but "Casey and Andy" does hold a special place in my heart as the first true Webcomic I started regularly reading. (In my mind, "PvP" is as much a physical comic book as it is a Web enterprise.)

Second...um...I guess my only "second" is that I appreciated THIS snark as well, because it gave me an excuse to go back through the archives and look for the clues about Milligawain that I missed the first time.

And apropos of nothing, I know my mom well enough to know that the geek/gaming humor in "Casey and Andy" isn't her cup of tea, but I did direct her to some personal favorites -- the strips with King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. She really, really likes the strips with King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.

Brian

Comment from: David Morgan-Mar posted at May 12, 2005 4:24 AM

I'm a little surprised you haven't mentioned GURPS Casey & Andy in any way, either as a potentially significant event in webcomics as a whole, or within this snark, which is about Casey & Andy and even specifically mentions roleplaying games.

I was also hoping you'd mention it somewhere, so I wouldn't have to be so gauche as to mention it myself... :-)

Comment from: Dire posted at May 12, 2005 5:12 AM

I had stumbled onto Casey and Andy about two months ago and loved the humor. Glad to see how popular it is.

I agree with Shelby Reiches, Milligawain probably is evil and just needs Queen Jena to put on the ring. The only real good/evil swap so far in this diminsion is Andina dating Zogor instead of Satan

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at May 12, 2005 8:08 AM

David--

It's wholly waiting for me to read GURPS Casey and Andy. It's already bought, but it's been something of a bad time for such things. ;)

Comment from: David W Boyd posted at May 12, 2005 10:28 AM

As for the "obscure RPG reference", I'd play The Fantasy Trip over GURPS any day of the week. In my opinion, it's still got the best tactical combat system of any RPG ever.