« La Escuela de Afilado | Main | In the midst of death, there is new life... or a mangled Star Trek reference, anyway. »

Eric: Chuy could have mentioned the clear dichotomy of design, too. If, you know, he wanted to.

(From Girly! Click on the thumbnail for full sized girls staring blankly at a guy with a biscuit!)

Submitted without comment.

(Except to say that this is the funniest fucking satire of me that I've ever seen.)

(And that the biscuit is... a bit odd. It kind of looks like layer cake.)

(On the other hand, layer cake is indeed tasty.)

(Also, that pretty much is the reaction that pretty girls have to me now. Long staring, then wandering away.)

(To be fair, that was true before Websnark, too.)

(Oh, and say it with me. "Fucking infinite canvas.")

(Anyway. Dude.)

Posted by Eric Burns-White at May 18, 2005 9:12 AM

Comments

Comment from: William_G posted at May 18, 2005 9:41 AM

On the downside I can see that this is just another creator who'll never be a critic's darling taking another pointless potshot at them... and the best known of us.

On the upside, this potshot was actually damned funny, unlike all of the others I've seen recently.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at May 18, 2005 10:02 AM

Looks like a biscuit of the American type, the sort you can make from cardboard tubes sold by Pillsbury.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at May 18, 2005 10:10 AM

What is this, Fester explaining his lot to Debbie Jellinsky? "I should have... UGLY GIRLS."

Comment from: ItsWalky posted at May 18, 2005 10:15 AM

Man, "submitted without comment" NEVER means submitted without comment.

Yeah, that's right. I saw those parenthetical remarks. Yes, they count.

You have lied to me for the last time, Mr. Snark!

Comment from: Merus posted at May 18, 2005 10:26 AM

Willis can be a mean drunk.

Also, and I'm ashamed to admit this, I don't actually get the joke that got the biscuit from Chuy.

Comment from: Merus posted at May 18, 2005 10:29 AM

Willis can be a mean drunk.

Comment from: Merus posted at May 18, 2005 10:29 AM

Whoops, sorry for the double post. I got a 500 error.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at May 18, 2005 10:46 AM

Damn! My ninja parentheses have failed me!

Next time, Willis....

(Merus -- the bunny ate *sharp* chedder. As evidenced by pointiness.)

Comment from: TheNintenGenius posted at May 18, 2005 11:20 AM

The funniest part of this, to me, is the fact that I ended up finally reading through the entire archives of the comic around Monday or so (laughing my ass off much of the time) and wondering to myself "You know, I wonder if Eric's had anything to say about this'un."

Now, of course, I could care less because goddamn that's one of the funniest Websnark satires I've ever seen. I now love Josh even more than I did previously.

Comment from: Merus posted at May 18, 2005 11:21 AM

Oh, I thought the bunny did that to emphasise the point.

It's an interesting dichotomy that the strip has going. So many strips fall into the grind of either using the same formula of beats, or go to the other extreme and eschew set-up to try crazy non sequitors. It's rare that you see a strip use the audience's expectations against it - the tone of the comic leads the audience to expect a pithy wordplay, and its absence is almost the joke itself, in what almost amounts to a meta-humour exercise. The audience is expecting a bland wordplay, and its absence throws them for a loop - it's a visual gag, although of the same quality as usual, but when read as entirely a written one it disappears. What makes it interesting is this toying with the audience in a syndicated strip, where the audience holds sway over your profits. In that climate, toying with the eyeballs is a bold move.

Cyndi gets a biscuit. A tasty, tasty hey who are you I'm sure I've seen you around someoh god the choking gaaaaahjjdjasucdb e7 sjks

...I couldn't resist. I'm sorry. (In my defense, your honor, it wasn't very good, and thus can be safely ignored.)

Comment from: Kristofer Straub posted at May 18, 2005 2:18 PM

That is awesome.

Comment from: SuperHappy posted at May 18, 2005 3:05 PM

Hey, thanks for the post.

I kinda poked a little fun at the Webcomics Examiner too (I guess that part's subtle, since I'm not seeing anyone mentuion it); however, I should mention that just to be fair, I also threw a sentence _I_ would say into Chuy's spiel. I'm crazily obsessed with webcomics too, after all, though not so quite as positive a fashion as Eric, I'm afraid, so I don't blog about it much anymore.

Oh... on another note, my comic's actually "fake" infinite canvas in that, in this particular strip's case, it's just three normal-sized strips stacked on top of each other. Look closely and you'll see it can indeed be divided up evenly. For whenever I need to make a book or something.

Comment from: J. Grant posted at May 18, 2005 3:50 PM

I have to admit, Lesnick, that the strip in question made me laugh like a crack fiend.

Comment from: Alexander Danner posted at May 18, 2005 5:27 PM

Well, you'd have to know the Examiner's tagline to get the reference. Which I do, so I caught that. But yeah, this actually was pretty funny.

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells posted at May 18, 2005 5:29 PM

I thought the joke was that the first bunny, though not eating anything literally pointy, (i.e. carrots) was instead eating something that was pointy (or "sharp") in the gustatory mode, thus showing his enslavement to a theme even across alternate meanings and senses of a word. Clearly, Bunny 1 has taken his personal tastes to absurd metalinguistic extremes, and thus, humor. Ha!

Comment from: Abby L. posted at May 18, 2005 6:23 PM

Crazily, I understood what ^^this person just said, and I thought that too. O_o

Comment from: Tangent posted at May 18, 2005 8:31 PM

Heh. Actually had my tangent on Girly up several hours before Eric silently snarked it. *mischivious grin* (Hey, if you don't comment on something, it's silent, right?)

I still can visualize Eric putting a tasty tasty biscuit on a printed out copy of a webcomic...

Robert A. Howard, Tangents reviewer

Comment from: siwangmu posted at May 19, 2005 4:00 PM

Now I feel guilty that I didn't laugh my ass off. I more thought it was cool to see what someone else's perceptions of Eric are. The waiting was inherently funny, to a certain extent, but what is it supposed to represent? (Yes, I'm asking to have a joke explicated) Waiting for a response? For some sort of significance (i.e. implying satire-Eric does this for the accolades from others)? Continuing the theme of inappropriate fascination by extending it silently?

I know you're not supposed to ask these sorts of things, but I trust you people's ability to explain things.

Comment from: quiller posted at May 19, 2005 6:09 PM

Well part of me was interpreting it as the act of posting something and waiting for comments. (Which can be a long wait in a non-interactive medium) But, it isn't necessarily unusual for humor in Girly. Compare to this one for a not quite the same, but not entirely dissimilar humor dose.

It also reminds me of the end of the old Police Squad episodes when everyone would freeze and then someone would enter and look at the frozen people and then pretend to freeze, or steal a wallet or something.

Comment from: Trevor Barrie posted at May 19, 2005 6:43 PM

I'm surprised nobody has posed the obvious question: are we to infer from this that the character of El Chupacabre is, and always has been, based on Eric?

Comment from: SuperHappy posted at May 19, 2005 9:59 PM