« [w] Takeover: The Final Chapter. | Main | [w] Conversational Style and the Limits of Mundane Patter »

Wednesday: [w] Because I can't be the only one who'll care about this

As part of the events on CBC Radio One today, Lynn and Rod Johnston appear on the first half hour of Sounds Like Canada. The show runs at about 10 past 10AM in each Canadian time zone; I've just gotten through listening to the Atlantic region's live feed. You can follow back through your time zone; there should be a few chances to catch it on Radio Canada International as well (not going to go through the methods for that, as they're too numerous -- read through the schedules for your method of choice).

Most of the interview is with Rod, and concerns a major dentistry award the couple's won, but there's a fair bit of interesting material about For Better or For Worse.

If you get a chance, you might also enjoy Samantha Bee's stint on The Current -- that one should actually turn up in the archives by, at worst, Monday (although some bits may be missing for copyright reasons). The roundtable on international differences in humour styles was fascinating to me as a dual national on her third country of residence, particularly in light of the whole thread on what constitutes British humour a few days back.

Meanwhile, I feel stupid -- I had to have this year's fake RFC explained to me by my partner. Doh.

Posted by Wednesday Burns-White at April 1, 2005 9:28 AM

Comments

Comment from: Daemonic posted at April 1, 2005 9:51 AM

The CBC has many great shows on in the morning. I don't listen to it as much as I used to, but I remember waking up to it and listening while eating breakfast before school...

Comment from: Wednesday posted at April 1, 2005 1:05 PM

I'm an utter CBC geek. Grew up on CBC Radio when the division was between that and Stereo, not Radio Two. There are days when listening to Radio One is the only thing which keeps life even remotely bearable. Never recovered from the death of Peter Gzowski, put it that way. (Thank God Shelagh Rogers is back in circulation...)

Did you hear Lister Sinclair's recent guest appearance on Go? I love how Radio One's learning to parody itself and its legacy so well.

Comment from: Shadowydreamer posted at April 1, 2005 2:00 PM

I pass onto you the maple leaf hat, you're far more Canadian than me, Wednesday :D

(It's the hat I wear at American conventions. ^_^ )

Comment from: larksilver posted at April 1, 2005 2:03 PM

Coolness. Now, websnark is introducing me to new stuff to listen to, as well as to read. Thanks!

'cause, y'know, although I have no idea what you're talking about, I must find out. It sounds too interesting to pass up.

Comment from: Daemonic posted at April 1, 2005 3:25 PM

I do miss Gzowski. He was a giant on the radio. I don't think we will see his likes again for a long time. May he rest in peace.

I missed Sinclair's appearance. I miss much now, spending too much time at school finishing my last undegraduate term. Once work rolls around, I will find myself plugging back in to listening to it all day.

I enjoy catching CBC radio three occasionally too... some diverse stuff. Not up to par with Radio One, but still good. :)

Comment from: MrNexx posted at April 2, 2005 12:06 PM

Wow... I completely misread RFC as RPG, started reading it and was like "Holy shit, this is the most boring looking game in existence. Who the Hel did they get to write this?"

Comment from: MrNexx posted at April 2, 2005 12:10 PM

You think you feel bad? I read that as saying "I had to have this year's fake RPG explained to me by my partner", and eagerly started reading the RPG... and said "Wow, this is crappy... who did they get to write this, and how did they think anyone would take it seriously enough to make it a worthwhile prank?"

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at April 3, 2005 5:39 AM

I misread it as RPG, and then drew up a really good campaign module for it. Now I have no way of playing it, and I am devastated.