« On the other hand... 'dag?' What the heck is 'dag?' | Main | Still, Enterprise would be even better if someone had a Lion's Roar attack. »

Eric: There is something to be said for being named a Fellow.

I've already snarked on my opinions of this year's Origins Awards nominees. And yet, I am going through and doing my duty as a Fellow of the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design. There being no write-in option, I'm doing the best I can.

That being said, I don't want to discuss the Origins Awards.

I want to discuss being a Fellow of the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design.

Look, I'm a geek. What's more, I'm a geek with a degree in English Literature. I am essentially pretentiousness incarnate. So the opportunity to add "Fellow of the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design" is just about nerdvana for me. I mean, look at it. I'm not a member -- I'm a Fellow. I'm never going to contract the Academy down to its initials again -- the sheer flow of 'the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design' deserves to be cut and pasted into conversation wherever possible.

Should I have to decide between Dead Inside and Dogs in the Vineyard for Best RPG of the year? Yes. Yes I should. Is it sad that instead, I have to consider "D&D Basic Set" on that list? Yes, yes it is. But still. I take a certain geeky pride in knowing I am a Fellow of the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design. I wish we had lapel pins, so I could wear one on my tweed sportscoat to formal events, the way the Business Manager wears a Rotary Pin and one of the faculty members wears his Mensa pin.

(As a pretentious geek, I too am a (lapsed) Mensa member. However, I have my limits. I have my limits.)

I think my fellow... er... Fellows and I should begin to go whole hog with this. At cons of all sorts, we should have gatherings of the Fellows of the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design, where we sip drinks in martini glasses and have light piano jazz playing in the background. We should have closed room parties where cheese trays are served and we bandy about terminology off the Forge and sniff at d20 -- most particularly d20 developers, of which I am one. We should adopt highways and send letters on pretentious letterhead set in Goudy Old Style to editors of journals that have nothing to do with games of any kind, where we make references only we would get in a tone that implies the editors of those journals are idiots if they don't understand. We should find a deserving college and give a hundred dollar scholarship to the most promising amateur Adventure Game Designer, sending press releases about it to the school newspaper. (For bonus points, we should ensure said student is in a Frat, just to see if we see his name in the obituaries the day after.)

Don't you get it? We're Fellows. We are collectively a Fellowship.

Forget the Lord of the Rings references -- we have Intelligensia tropes to adopt, now!

Posted by Eric Burns-White at April 22, 2005 3:37 PM

Comments

Comment from: Tangent posted at April 22, 2005 3:58 PM

Ooooooookay?

Who's been spiking Eric's tea again? *grin*

Comment from: Wednesday posted at April 22, 2005 4:02 PM

Just so long as there's no unshaved librarian limbo, and Sarah can walk on the lawn.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at April 22, 2005 4:02 PM

So you're a member of a group that gives out an award that is widely mocked (I've only seen winners brag about it), that you have questioned the usefulness of, and you want to get to act pretentious about it?

Personally, I wouldn't want the big metaphorical bulls-eye on myself like that, but everyone has a right to one if they want.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at April 22, 2005 4:22 PM

32 -- yes. If anything, I want to act more pretentious about it. But then, satire is like that. ;)

(You might want to follow the link in the post to read my thoughts on the Origins Award. You may find the irony a bit clearer then. ;) )

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at April 22, 2005 4:23 PM

Weds, please.

It's un*shorn* Librarian Limbo.

Comment from: benlehman posted at April 22, 2005 4:28 PM

If you wanted to decide between Dead Inside and Dogs in the Vineyard (as well as PrimeTime Adventures, The Shadow of Yesterday, Run Robot Red and others) for Game of the Year, you could always go over to the Indie RPG Awards and talk to Andy about voting in them.

yrs--

--Ben

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at April 22, 2005 4:33 PM

Eric - I don't know if you remember, but I commented on that at the time.

If you're trying for satire, you need to realign your focus. The ideal would be to satire the AAGAD by forming a Fellowship of Awards, Knowledge, and Expertise. This group would give out awards based on who gives out solid awards, and Origins would be nominated as much as possible for its insight into the industry it covers. Though it would have to race neck and neck with the Spike TV Video Game Awards for the top prize.

Now *that* would be satire. ;)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at April 22, 2005 4:35 PM

Ben -- sadly, I'm ineligible this year. If I get my Vanity Project finished by next year, I'll be eligible, but I'm not an Indie game designer by their lights at the moment. And that's okay. ;)

(Unless you mean the People's Choice award -- I'll be seeing about voting in that).

Comment from: benlehman posted at April 22, 2005 4:41 PM

Hmm...

How much RPG writing has been done on this blog?

(If you were interested, I might be able to lobby Andy to let you in as a "critic / supportive other." There are a few voting folks who fall into that category.)

yrs--

--Ben

Comment from: Wednesday posted at April 22, 2005 4:57 PM

It's un*shorn* Librarian Limbo.

This is a bottle of Lush's Ambrosia shaving lotion, which I purchased at the shopping centre not four hours ago.

It shall now strike Eric squarely between the eyes.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at April 22, 2005 5:00 PM

Ben -- check the "Role Playing Games" category on the front page of Websnark for... well, all of it. ;)

I'll be glad to participate, if Andy and you feel it's appropriate. I just don't want to put on unearned airs, as it were.

Comment from: AuricTech posted at April 22, 2005 6:41 PM

Personally, I would hold out for Research Fellow.

Especially if a Research Fellow receives a stipend....

Comment from: Ununnilium posted at April 22, 2005 7:52 PM

You know, it's *also* pretty pretentious to define for other people what their comedy stylings *should* be like. >>

Comment from: Grumblin posted at April 22, 2005 9:35 PM

Weds : "Just so long as there's no unshaved librarian limbo"

The Librarian [i]never[/i] shaves.. It's Oook :p

Comment from: Grumblin posted at April 22, 2005 9:39 PM

hmmm maybe Eeeek if you push the matter.. After that its Peanuts.. O:)

Comment from: Daemonic posted at April 23, 2005 12:01 AM

Just *DONT* call him a monkey... whatever you do.

Comment from: DarkStar posted at April 23, 2005 2:02 AM

*Daemonic get walloped on the head by a large, sad looking rug hanging off a nearby light fixture*

Dude, watch what you say.

Comment from: Moe Lane posted at April 23, 2005 6:25 AM

(raised eyebrow) Some of us game, you know.

(pause)

Yeah, I need to finish that writeup. Must be around here somewhere; thanks for the reminder, Eric. :)

Moe

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at April 23, 2005 9:59 PM

Damn skippy it's pretentious to do that, #110. And if I didn't just write a piece on my own saying that I was a pompous, egotistical, pretentious know-it-all and proud of it, that fact just might bother me.

Besides, if there's anything a critic should be ready for, it's someone calling them out when they fail at what they're trying to do.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at April 23, 2005 10:02 PM

Hey, did I ever say you were wrong, 32? ;)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at April 23, 2005 10:03 PM

(Oh, and 'calling out' really isn't the right phrase. Sometimes the jokes work, and sometimes they don't. That doesn't mean I'm going to fight a cage match over it. That would be unbefitting a Fellow, after all, old Sock.)

Comment from: siwangmu posted at April 24, 2005 3:42 PM

For the record, the joke worked for me. I like it even better when I go ahead and assume part of you really, actually does think it's fun to be a "fellow." It's a good mix.

Comment from: MHPayne posted at April 29, 2005 7:17 PM

Just wondering:

If you'll be signing up for the Webcartoonists' Choice Awards now that you're officially a webcartoonist. Drop me a line--I'm the registrar, after all...