« It is a slow way to die. Pain would be preferable. All is grey. All is quiet. Help me. | Main | The Yellow Kid From Deliverance »

Eric: The problem is, we left President Ford and Scientist Hitler too early. That's where the drama was, baby!

(From Goats. Click on the thumbnail for full sized 'No, Mister Hitler, I expect you to die!')

It's not that it's bad. Because the Funny is there. It honestly is.

It's just, I think "Good Hitler vs. Space Hitler" probably would have been perfectly good as a six part series. As we move into part fifteen of seventeen I yearn -- yearn -- for the return of Oliver the chick.

And I'm not a fan of Oliver the chick.

Yeah, they're all named Hitler and they're based on Hitler (with special guest Eva Braun as the one who isn't a Hitler). Yeah, I get that. But... honestly, part fifteen? As it is, I have no idea what was happen in in Goats when we slid into Hitleresque follies. I remember something about lizard suits. And bloody mustaches. I think.

Anyway, it's not bad. I'm just really, really ready for the end of the Hitlers.

Man, how often has that been said in the last sixty years?

Posted by Eric Burns-White at April 11, 2005 2:22 PM

Comments

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright posted at April 11, 2005 2:58 PM

Hey, you gotta tell the story till it's done, ya know? If you have X number of gags that work with a specific storyline, and you don't use all of them... well, wasted gags... it's just not right.

Comment from: Tangent posted at April 11, 2005 3:02 PM

Heh. You seem to be making up for lost time, Eric. :D

Comment from: TheNintenGenius posted at April 11, 2005 3:09 PM

I'm finding it to be an interesting diversion along the lines of the Crab City storyline: it doesn't have a hell of a lot to do with the rest of the comic, but it's pretty amusing regardless.

Comment from: Nick Simmonds posted at April 11, 2005 3:12 PM

Goats is always running off onto tangents like this for wha seems like years at a time. I drift out of reading it whenever his happens, or when Diablo runs off at he mouth about some chapter of his rivalry with Mendel. I think that the sort of middle ground that Goats occupies between rigid continuity (e.g., Questionable Content) and rabid discontinuity (e.g., Penny Arcade) is deeply unappealing, at least to me. I think this also helps along my lack of interest in Sluggy's recent story arc. I'm reading it, but just so that I don't miss it when it's over, and it's the same with Goats.

Comment from: Danalog posted at April 11, 2005 4:04 PM

This isn't *nearly* as bad as the Mendel storylines... those I just stop reading Goats for a few weeks for. At least this is somewhat interesting.

Comment from: Brandon E. posted at April 11, 2005 4:11 PM

Personally I'm enjoying this storyline. Then again, I also love the Mendel storylines and I thought Crab City was awesome.

" I'm just really, really ready for the end of the Hitlers.

Man, how often has that been said in the last sixty years?"

I remember back in high school when Mary Jane Hitler was elected class president. Fortunatly she didn't stay long enough to enact her lunch room segregation plan.

Comment from: RichK posted at April 11, 2005 5:00 PM

Aw come on Eric, stay for the credits. Jon's never done a suave, cool-headed, character before. Besides, FINEAS picked the movie and he can kill you with a taco sauce packet.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at April 11, 2005 5:05 PM

Hey, I'm not going anywhere. I'm just fidgeting in my seat and considering the throwing of popcorn.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at April 11, 2005 5:15 PM

Stay for the credits, wherein it's revealed that the director of the movie is...SHAZAM TWIX!

Comment from: quiller posted at April 11, 2005 6:02 PM

Goats has taken me the longest time to get into. It would be linked by a webcomic I liked, I'd go look at it, say "OK, but eh?" and go back to my regular trawl. Then my girlfriend was a fan, an when I created my webpage of links to regular trawl sites, she asked for a few others including goats to be on there. So it would sit there everyday I went through my trawl. And finally one day I went there, something clicked and I read through the archives and started reading it regularly. I'm not sure what changed, but there it was. Maybe it was the overclocked lemon.

Comment from: Danalog posted at April 11, 2005 7:16 PM

Goats has the same general appeal to me as Superocity does, where the strip is so mercilessly bizarre that I can't stop reading.

Comment from: kirabug posted at April 12, 2005 7:53 AM

WELL, I certainly think that today's edition turned the presumed-James Bond archetype on its head.

Or through it.

Comment from: Chris Anthony posted at April 12, 2005 11:15 AM

My problem with today's comic is that the deeply cynical part of me fully expects this to merely be Clone Good Hitler, who was offered up as a sacrificial lamb while Real Good Hitler goes about his business unhindered for another solid week.

I really miss my idealism, some days.

Comment from: Nick Simmonds posted at April 12, 2005 12:11 PM

He hasn't done a suave, cool-headed character yet. Good Hitler just thinks he's those things.

Comment from: lark posted at April 12, 2005 1:20 PM

And yet, it's STILL more interesting than whatever the hell is going on at Sluggy right now.

I at least get a giggle out of Goats.

Comment from: WiseSalesman posted at April 12, 2005 2:04 PM

Goats is my ultimate "you had me and you lost me" strip. I used to read it every day, then we started getting into complex storylines that had nothing to do with any of the main characters, and were, honestly, not that funny and I stopped being the least bit interested.

Comment from: Natural Slave posted at April 13, 2005 7:18 PM

Okay, first off, the Twix Saga rules, because Shazam Twix rules, given the fact that he is absurdity incarnate as a character just as Goats is absurdity made manifest in webcomic form. Goats isn't about any driving plotline or plotlines, but about the really, really weird shit that comes out of Jon Rosenberg's head.

It's the only comic I've read with Immanuel Kant and Werner Heisenberg jokes in the most absurd circumstances, the only one where coelecanths can provide a recurring comedic motif for a whole storyline. One could argue that this makes it pretensious, but if so it's pretension done right, and humorously as well, like Dinosaur Comics, or the Heraclitus references in A Lesson is Learned But the Damage is Irreversible.

Departures from the main cast thus don't matter for a comic as demented as Goats because its less continuity/character driven than say, Sluggy Freelance, which is making the mistake of doing an unhumorous story featuring the least developed and least developable character in the comic (Bert included).

The problem with the Good Hitler arc was that it wasn't as consistently demented as the Twix Sagas or as downright bizzare as Crab City. The funny was there, but not in the quantities it was for those storylines, save perhaps for the luftsteaks.

-Wilhelm