« Best of all, Greg designed this kickass hat for Trudy. | Main | There is something to be said for being named a Fellow. »

Eric: On the other hand... 'dag?' What the heck is 'dag?'

(From Narbonic. Click on the thumbnail for full sized Dag!)

One of the core reasons I like Narbonic as much as I do (and that amount is "a lot," for those of you new to the scene) is the seamless blending of whimsy and story Shaenon Garrity pulls off. Take this current storyline. It definitely develops as a story, logically and carefully. You believe every character is doing exactly what he (well, mostly she) is doing, and you believe in their reasons why, even if those reasons are evil and insane.

And at the same time, we have hit a mexican standoff between the Evil Mad Scientist and the Perky Evil Intern Assassin that has been broken up by the Hot Heroic Guy who also happens to be a transmogrified hamster.

I have no idea what's in the food Shaenon Garrity eats, but damn I hope she can hook me up.

I'm full on loving this plotline. And I loved the last plotline. And the plotline before that. Garrity is at the absolute top of her game right now, and Narbonic is, for my money, the best comic strip in cartooning today.

Yes, even better than Mary Worth.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at April 22, 2005 10:44 AM

Comments

Comment from: ANT Link posted at April 22, 2005 11:15 AM

To answer your question, I believe Dag is either a slightly modified dang, as in dang it, the family friendly alternative to damn...or she's invoking Dagwood from Blondie the same way many people invoke Jesus as an exclamation.

Well, you DID ask.

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells posted at April 22, 2005 11:37 AM

Just so that I can be the first...

Transmogrified gerbil. The hamsters are a whole different batch of evil.

;)

Comment from: Tangent posted at April 22, 2005 12:02 PM

How about Dagnabit? *grin*

Yes, Shaenon definitely rocks. :)

Comment from: Shaenon posted at April 22, 2005 12:27 PM

Dag, you snarked *this* one? You should've waited. Tomorrow the three-way standoff between the mad scientist, evil intern/assassin, and transmogrified gerbil is broken up by something even STUPIDER.

"Dag" is a frequent interjection in Lynda Barry comics. It follows a five-year tradition of Mell slang being obscure, outdated, or in some cases entirely made up.

Comment from: Tangent posted at April 22, 2005 1:19 PM

Heh. I /knew/ there was a reason I didn't go off on a Tangent with Narbonic today... well, guess I'll have even more to chat about with tomorrow's Narbonic. *grin*

Robert A. Howard

Comment from: Alkari posted at April 22, 2005 2:28 PM

Not being a Narbonic reader, I immediately flashed back to a classic 8-Bit Theater strip when seeing the word "Dag."

Needless to say, there was a slight disconnect when I saw the comments.

Comment from: HydrogenGuy posted at April 22, 2005 2:50 PM

To me, "dag" needs to be followed by "yo". As in, "Dag, yo, that is a sexy transmogrofied gerbil."

I think I get that from Achewood, I'm not sure.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at April 22, 2005 2:54 PM

Transmogrified Gerbil. Yes. I know this. Honestly. I actually OWN A NARBONIC GERBIL. So I know it to be true.

Shaenon -- I hardly know what tomorrow's strip is going to be, now do I? ;) I have to snark what I have before me.

And as for Lydia Barry -- I haven't read nearly enough of her works. At the time I had the opportunity, I was vastly more into Nicole Hollander, and was stupid enough to only seek out one of the two. So I missed the ref.

Comment from: David Morgan-Mar posted at April 22, 2005 7:22 PM

In Australian English, "dag" is slang for a slovenly, dirty, or simply extremely uncool person. It comes from the formal dictionary definition of "dag", which is the encrustation of dirt and feces that accumulates around a sheep's nether regions. The word originates from the Middle English "dagge", and so this formal usage is not peculiar to Australia. It just happens to have seeped into popular usage since we happen to be a society in which the care of sheep has historically been very important.

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson posted at April 22, 2005 10:19 PM

Dag?

Why, that's Norb's buddy. They get riled occasionally.

Comment from: Prodigal posted at April 23, 2005 4:05 AM

"Tomorrow the three-way standoff between the mad scientist, evil intern/assassin, and transmogrified gerbil is broken up by something even STUPIDER."

And gloriously so! I can't wait to see what happens next. :)

Comment from: okaynowa posted at April 25, 2005 6:39 AM

Okay, I've HAD it with these Narbonic teasers. I can't subscribe to the site to get it (financial constraints), so I had to break down and buy the books.

Sadly, this story arc won't be in there, will it...

Torment! Tasty, tasty torment.

PS-- I had a buddy from Connecticut who said "dag!" on a regular basis. He was cryptic about the term's origin.