« It's rough when your sidekick's sidekick can fly and you can't. | Main | Frienditto and E-mail: the fallacy of privacy on the Internet »

Eric: Why did I frame cut instead of thumbnailing? Because I couldn't upload it for thumbnailing because it was 36 inches tall. Fucking infinite canvas.

(From Life of Riley! Click on the thumbnail for full sized SHA!)

I bitched, you will recall, when ClanBOB returned without Life of Riley.

Today. Life of Riley came back. And I feel perfectly justified in my bitching, because this was a pretty sweet return.

We picked right back up where we left off, during the climactic confrontation. And yet, I didn't feel lost even though I didn't reread the previous few strips. Lilith, a character I've been liking more and more as we get to know her, finally is given pause -- which is nice, because omnipotence isn't fun. Yasha's fate was sad (I liked her), but made sense. And the fade to sepias at the bottom of the (FUCKING INFINITE CANVAS) strip was handled beautifully. Jaaren says he hadn't picked up a stylus for drawing purposes for months. If so, he hasn't lost a step. If anything, his characters are even better than before, artistically.

I'm excited. I'm looking forward to where we go from here. They're back.

Life is good.

(Oh, for the record? I'm not yelling at Jaaren over the size of his (FUCKING INFINITE CANVAS!) strip. But if I ever meet Scott McCloud, I'm going to be thinking evil thoughts in his direction. While I mumble fanboyishly and incoherently and babble about how much Understanding Comics and Reinventing Comics both rocked. I'm not going to waste my chance to buy Scott McCloud a drink over my own annoyance over (FUCKING!) Infinite Canvas, after all.)

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 4, 2005 7:19 PM

Comments

Comment from: Theogrin posted at March 4, 2005 9:02 PM

Ah, the joys of (fucking) infinite canvas. For another good example of it, I'd have to show you the currently-on-hiatus comic "Alex and Ilia", if you hadn't yet seen it; scroll back a few strips and you'll see what I mean. As for Life of Riley, I can only weep tears of joy at the return. Of course, not too many tears: otherwise I wouldn't be able to see what is truly incredible artwork.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 4, 2005 10:04 PM

There must be some compromise between IC and OMFGDIE. I wish I knew what the hell it was. I'd draw myself in flannel and make a living for a change.

Comment from: Shadowydreamer posted at March 4, 2005 11:06 PM

Tell us how you really feel about IC, Eric. :)

Comment from: Shaenon posted at March 4, 2005 11:43 PM

You may not love Scott McCloud, but he loves you, McCloud loves everyone. McCloud is the Way. Here, take this copy of [i]Reinventing Comics[/i] as you go, and mayhap on your way home it will fall open to a relevant passage, a passage that will light a tiny, steady flame in your dark soul.

And then you will break out of your narrow, A4-sized little world and join us on the outside, where it is beautiful, and the birds sing sweetly all the day long. Oh yes you will.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at March 5, 2005 12:01 AM

I adore you so hard Shaenon.

Comment from: thok posted at March 5, 2005 12:07 AM

Eric does have a point. There's no real reason why this comic couldn't have been split into three parts. (The beginning to "You're not stopping" is one part, the stuff with Roshael as a second part, and the final Lilith-Dan by itself.)

Comment from: Surlyben posted at March 5, 2005 3:39 AM

I always wondered why the hate for downwards scrolling IC comics. I mean, side scrolling I can understand. It's annoying unless you get used to it. But scrolling up and down is just easier than clicking forward and back buttons. But now I understand: Write me a thumbnailer that'll handle 36 inch comic strips, and my charitability towards the form will increase.

It makes sense. My eyes are opened. (And I'm not being sarcastic.) (Really.) (I mean, I'm not won over, but I can see where you are coming from.)

Obsidescrollingcomiclink: This is the comic that won me over to scrolling sideways.

Comment from: Zutto posted at March 5, 2005 8:30 AM

Hey now, aren't we fans of innovation and new things? Once people really start breaking paradigms with web comics by programming them more, thumbnails will be the least of one's worries.

Seriously, I'm sure it's already out there, but I'd love to see a web comic that adds a fresh semantic layer by relying on cursor-over scripts or some other wacky convention.

Comment from: Phalanx posted at March 5, 2005 11:01 AM

When form distracts from content, then you've got a problem, I'd say.

I hate having to scroll from down to sideways, but I was surprised that for Alex and Ilia, it actually worked. Slyvan Migdal's Ascent employs infinite canvas, but he does it so subtly you don't really think about it and it doesn't interrupt your reading.

I think the question here is innovation WITH practicality. Infinite Canvas can be done well, but I think it's more of a case of not trying to go for all the special effects at once.

Comment from: Shaenon posted at March 5, 2005 2:03 PM

Form distracting from content isn't a problem if formal innovation is part of the point of the comic (Cat Garza's "Magic Inkwell"). Or if the format helps call attention to some aspect of the content (the six-foot falling panel in McCloud's "Zot"). Or if the format is perfectly simple and easy to read, and you're only "distracted" by it because you're a big nitpicky baby whose name is Eric I'm a Big Nitpicky Baby Burns.

It'd be easy enough to thumbnail a section if the scroll consisted of several separate images, wouldn't it? I used to do my long scrolls that way (it usually saves server space), but nowadays I don't because a single large image is slightly easier to set up on the Modern Tales control panel.

So, in conclusion: it's Joey Manley's fault. It's always Joey Manley's fault.

Comment from: Tangent posted at March 6, 2005 1:02 AM

My roommate Shadowbourne has two things to say.

First, what /is/ Sha, anyway?

Second, while he may Sha at us, we Na Na Na at him.

If you are old enough to understand, please let me know, I know where we can get discount walkers. *grin*