« [weds] Takeover! [page five] | Main | Wait until he sees Piet Mondrian for the first time. »

Wednesday: [weds] UK Web & Minicomics Thing

All right. Who's going? I plan on running around with my buddy Keith, being all, you know, "Should I buy a shirt?" and then bemoaning the concept of the size L Bella. While I realize that I am, in fact, the only fat woman with a British passport(*), I espouse my entitlement, under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, to make the ghost of Pierre Trudeau happy through presentation of the unruly charges.

This requires an XL Bella. Preferably an XXL, but, you know, we cope.

Usually by bitching to Keith about it, then resolutely failing to order such shirts from the Americas. But anyhow.

Anyways, this is a transparent abuse of the facilities to find out if anyone wants to go for a drink after the con, or for a drink during the con, or even just knows of any non-Whittard tea vendors within walking distance of the facilities (because, aside from anything Whittard might be hiding in the upstairs of the Carnaby Street location, that is not a lapsang souchong I should buy). I have purchased tickets, and am not obviously creepy. Monumentally shy and frightened of people, yes, but not creepy. Just slightly nervous until halfway through the first pint.

(*) Disclaimer: author is perfectly aware that this is just a problem with living in Chaverston, Berkshire.

Posted by Wednesday Burns-White at March 16, 2005 10:29 AM

Comments

Comment from: Stephen Kyle posted at March 16, 2005 11:05 AM

Damn, I'd come if I didn't live in Scotland. ._.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at March 16, 2005 11:20 AM

"Fat"? Judging from your "Takeover" pics, either you have an overly harsh definition of fat, or the cartoon you is not meant to be representative. :)

Comment from: John Bankert posted at March 16, 2005 11:22 AM

What Dave said, and also:

Mmmmm... Lapsang Souchong. Especially if it's a nice strong cup of lapsang souchong.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 16, 2005 11:42 AM

Takeover Wednesday is representative of shape as of page five, but takes considerable license with amount of space taken up relative to her world. This may or may not change.

The souchong at Whittard gave every impression of being stale, sadly. Sigh.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 16, 2005 11:43 AM

Also: Takeover continues tonight. Or whenever I can get up the arsedness to eat.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at March 16, 2005 1:51 PM

Scotland?

Wednesday White and Ping Teo in the same room? A room that potentially also contains John Allison?

I'm tempted to fly over from America.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 16, 2005 2:27 PM

Not at $811 out of Boston, you're not.

Scotland's, like, get in the car type thing. Mr. Kyle should so get in the car.

Comment from: Phalanx posted at March 16, 2005 4:00 PM

Mr. Burns, you flatterer, you! ;)

I'm meeting up with a whole bunch of fellow webcomic artists and we might be heading for a drink or meal after the con (if we can find/decide on a place to go to). We should all join forces and invade a pub or something.

No doubt many peoples' impression of me will be shattered when they meet me in real life and find I am less loquacious and more reserved when not behind a keyboard...

And dinky, too. I'll be probably be trekking through a forest of tall people as Mos Hunter puts it.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 16, 2005 4:19 PM

Ping: Do you look like your little picture thingy? I don't much look like my little picture thingy, or my idealized cartoon self (both have better hair), so I'm worried that I might need to plaster something to my breast that says: "WARNING: EGOTIST."

Either that or I'll just buy a bunch of mini cheddars and pass them out to people who look like they might read things.

Comment from: Stephen Kyle posted at March 16, 2005 5:33 PM

I'd get in a car, but there's a chance I could be arrested because it wouldn't be mine. Also, I might die along the way - it's not a good idea to drive when you've never had any lessons.

[/a lazy 17 year old]

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 16, 2005 7:36 PM

You could get into someone else's car and make them drive it.

Or, you know, you could just sit in the car and will it to move. I hear they're working on that. It's rather like waiting for Virgin Trains services.

Comment from: Phalanx posted at March 16, 2005 8:03 PM

Weds: Eh, I think it's natural for any of us artists to pick the more flattering looking pictures of ourselves to put up ;)

As for drawing ourselves, everything looks better simplified anyway, and in comics, we draw ourselves as we perceive ourselves to be, not as we are.

So I think you needn't worry. I mean cartoon Scott Kurtz or Chris Crosby or Greg Dean probably don't look EXACTLY like their real counterparts after all...

Comment from: CrazyDave posted at March 17, 2005 6:31 AM

Damnit! I'm going to see "His Dark Materials" on Saturday, otherwise I would have gone down.

I assumed most cons happened in the States, are the any others comming up soon in the UK?

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 17, 2005 1:19 PM

Well, there's Worldcon, Consternation and Ayacon in August. None of these are comics-related, although Aya should have a very strong doujinshi/webcomics presence this year if Amecon last year was any indication. (It'll have an even better one if Fred Gallagher's gaggle doesn't eat the Artists Alley again, like at last Aya!)

I'm only going to Aya (because Worldcon is too expensive to justify when your American friends aren't attending, and because, dearly as I love so many of the people on staff at Consternation, you couldn't get me to go to Cambridge for a whole weekend for most of the money in the world). But I suspect I'm not representative.

Comment from: Paul A. posted at March 18, 2005 3:37 AM

So I shouldn't put too much reliance on the cast page photo that makes you look like Lynda Day, then?