« Comixpedia time again! | Main | The Challenge of Saying Goodbye is Saying Hello. »

Eric: We are at T-7 Days and counting.

Hi all. It's been a little while since I've burbled about Gossamer Commons. As most of you know, Gossamer Commons is the webcomic that I've been writing and Greg Holkan has been drawing -- which makes it sound like Greg's just an artmonkey, which is totally untrue. He's a full creative partner and he's fantastic. We've spent the last several weeks building a backlog of stuff and getting things ready for a launch.

A launch that is exactly one week away, now. That's right. Day one of Gossamer Commons will be hitting the Internet on Monday, March 21. (Well, assuming we iron out the website, get everything loaded up, get everything into the can and ready, et cetera, and so on, and so forth... and me going to Ithaca on Thursday. Aie yie yie....)

To celebrate the grand opening (and to give everyone a nice bit of archive to start with, instead of simply having the one strip), we've actually decided that 21 March's strip is going to be four times normal length. That's right, you're getting a full extra week's worth of comic next Monday, to give you a chance to dive in with both feet. (After that, it's going to look like we actually launched Gossamer Commons a week early, because in the logs it's going to stretch back into four strips instead of one long one.)

It's a credit to Greg that the extra long strip flows perfectly, I would add. And looks absolutely beautiful.

I'm really, really excited about this, gang. I think there's some tremendous times ahead.

Of course... with four strips -- each already about the length of two standard strips (we're tending to 6-8 panels per strip, three times a week) -- one on top of the other, people will have to scroll down a little bit to see the end of it....

That's right. Our first day of Gossamer Commons is going to be a FUCKING INFINITE CANVAS STRIP.

I can hear Shaenon Garrity laughing at me already....

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 14, 2005 2:40 PM

Comments

Comment from: Tangent posted at March 14, 2005 3:01 PM

I'll start.

HA HA!

Looking forward to it. :)

Robert A. Howard

Comment from: Shaenon posted at March 14, 2005 4:25 PM

Well, *expanded* canvas. "Infinite" might be going a little far.

Now you will know our joy,

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at March 14, 2005 4:33 PM

He gazed up at the enormous comic strip. Thirty-seven years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark panel borders. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved the Infinite Canvas.

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells posted at March 14, 2005 4:52 PM

If you want a picture of the future of webcomics, imagine Scott McCloud stamping with a cartoon boot on a human face--for ever.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at March 14, 2005 6:50 PM

In a magnetic fields lab I'm teaching this week, a coil that is 8 times longer than it is wide is considered sufficiently long enough to be treated as infinitely long.

Comment from: Rachi posted at March 15, 2005 12:18 AM

I *love* "infinite" canvases... mostly because if I'm reading archives, I don't have to hit "Next" all the time. Yeah, I'm lazy like that.

Anyways, looking forward to GC. And the uber long strip.

Comment from: Zaq posted at March 15, 2005 12:47 AM

Long time reader, first time poster... but the 1984 reference did it for me. Welcome, Winston. We've been expecting you.

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at March 15, 2005 5:04 AM

Now you've got me trying to recall the point at which a planar field effectively becomes infinite as well.

On a related note, It occurs to me that with a bit of web coding magic and a sufficiently twisted desire to annoy your readers, you could probably create a canvas that actually was infinite — i.e., scrolling far enough in any direction would bring you back in the other side again (toroidal or spherical? I can see the bitter lines of the inevitable debate forming even now).

Comment from: Haver posted at March 15, 2005 11:21 AM

I'm excited.

Comment from: hess42 posted at March 15, 2005 11:15 PM

Heh. Ray, that reminds me of my favorite Dilbert strip (Yes, I have pedestrian tastes. Sue me.) The evil boss guy says something like, "It all fell into place once I realized we hate our customers!"