« I once paid for a man's tanning salon time, just to watch him fry. | Main | The Passion of the Sessler »

Eric: Seriously, though. "DIE DIE 666" would have said it just as well.

(From Goats. Click on the thumbnail for full sized mustaches of destiny!)

Many, many people say they want change, and then hate it. They say things are stagnant, and then they get pissed when things get shaken up.

Well, Rosenberg's been shaking like a Tijuana whore on a Tuesday1. He's torn away Fish's innocence. (Though notice Fish looks a bit shocked with the mustache carnage today too -- there's a big difference between knowing how to kill a man and watching a mustache bleed.) He's made Jon actually work. He's gone to a bloody mustache fight while people remain tied up and wearing rubber suits. And today, Jerrell, who has long stayed focused on death, evil and fornication, actually had a line and expressed emotion. The playbook's been tossed out the window!

And I'm loving every second of it. Rosenberg's hooked me. Let's see if he reels me in, guts me, poses for a picture with me, and then leaves me in his freezer for eight months until his significant other throws me out during spring cleaning.

1I have no idea what that means either.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 2, 2005 11:43 PM

Comments

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at March 3, 2005 12:33 AM

Heh. I was wondering if Jerrell's expanded vocabulary was gonna draw a Snark.

Comment from: Patrick Harris posted at March 3, 2005 1:35 AM

He had another line one, although one lacking in emotion, here.

Comment from: Greg Dean posted at March 3, 2005 4:04 AM

Holy shit, I'm blind. My first read through, I didn't even realize it was Jerrell... i just glazed right over that. Damn. I must be tired today.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at March 3, 2005 11:11 AM

Patrick -- that more tied into the joke of Jerrell's character, though. This was just an outburst.

Either way, it was fun to see.

Comment from: Meagen Image posted at March 3, 2005 4:41 PM

I think you took that metaphor a little bit too far.

Comment from: EsotericWombat posted at March 3, 2005 8:26 PM

Yeah, I didn't notice at first either. If my memory serves me correctly, Jerrel hasn't been around much lately

This strip reminds me of something I learned in my study of theater. "Acting is REacting." You convey a lot more about a character through expressions in reaction to action and dialogue onstage than you can possibly convey in a monologue. It never occured to me that the same could be said for comic strips.

Comment from: EsotericWombat posted at March 3, 2005 8:34 PM

I wonder if Jerrel is going to become more than just a one-dimensional character, now.

Then again, maybe he never changed. Maybe if he saw such a display at any point in his existance then the reaction would be the same, and the fact that he said something other than DIE DIE 666 was a testament to the horrors of moustache fighting

Either way, I love what Rosenberg's been up to