« On my way, in so many ways. | Main | [weds] It's Not Quite Gossamer Commons, But... »

Eric: Oh my GOD!

(From The Quotidian (a part of Sporecloud). Click on the thumbnail for full sized reality check incoming!)

First, the (slight) negative. This strip is really too large. Not in an "infinite canvas" way, but in a "I have a large display and had to use too much of it to see the top and bottom of this strip" way. This is minor.

Second... oh my GOD!

I did two readthroughs before it (no pun intended) hit me.

Oh my GOD!

Jeff Bent so totally gets a biscuit. A tasty, tasty biscuit.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 17, 2005 11:20 AM

Comments

Comment from: Shadowydreamer posted at March 17, 2005 1:21 PM

The sidescroll was very irritating. If I hadn't been sent there by someone I trusted I wouldn't have read the comic, I would have hit my trusty "x" and moved on.. and I'm at 1024X768.. the current internet standard.

Comment from: Greg Dean posted at March 17, 2005 1:40 PM

To be fair, a lot of these guys haven't really thought about the connotations of doing a daily strip on the web, yet. Many of the sites have poor navigation, and the presentation is more suited to a gallery than a comic. They'll get the hang of it eventually. :P

But yeah, that comic is funny as hell. I had to read the title of the strip before I got it, but when I did, it hit me all at once. Funny shit. :D

Comment from: Shaenon posted at March 17, 2005 2:08 PM

Yeah, shrink that sucker down a notch. It fits neatly into my widescreen monitor, which means that for everyone else it's a pain in the ass.

Really nice linework there.

Comment from: Jeff Bent posted at March 17, 2005 2:18 PM

Hey, thanks for the biscuit. Too big, is it? I think I agree. It could be smaller for easier legibility. I will say that sometimes I'm not adverse to making the reader use the scrollbar (I know! I'm a slavedriver!). I see it as the web equivalent as turning a page in a book. I think we've all turned a page in a comic only to have the next image explode visually. It's a device, right? But in this instance, I agree, this particular strip doesn't need to be scrolled for the impact and perhaps even suffers for it.

It's still all pretty experimental for me at this point, the webcomic thing. So far my daily strip is a pretty mixed menagerie of mutants. I appreciate the praise but doubly appreciate helpful criticism because it's hard to tell if what works for me, works for others.

Comment from: Sean Conner posted at March 17, 2005 2:19 PM

The one experimental comic I did (Lego based) used a separate image for each panel█I'm surprised that technique isn't used more often on web-based comics. I guess it's a bit more work to break the panels up, but it avoids side scrolling and allows one to have larger panels.

Comment from: quiller posted at March 17, 2005 2:53 PM

Eh, it's a visual joke, but hardly earth shattering. But, humor is subjective. I had more fun with Questionable Content with the Rhombus of Rejection, but that may just be the geek in me. (And the bit about using the Socratic method in the bedroom from yesterday's comic made for some interesting imaginings)

Comment from: NthDegree256 posted at March 17, 2005 3:13 PM

Sean Conner -

Hey, that's actually a pretty cool technique. No horizontal scrolling no matter what your window is set at... the worst you can get is a vertical scroll, which (as Eric has said in the past) browsers are optimized for, anyway.

On the converse side, it's much more rigid in terms of panel dimensions... but half of the comics I read limit themselves to regular block panels in the first place, anyway.

Comment from: larksilver posted at March 17, 2005 4:07 PM

I thought it was pretty darn funny, since the joke just sort of sneaks up on ya before it goes all bang bang Maxwell's Hammer on your head.

I've enjoyed a lot of the Quotidian strips so far, as well as quite a few of the other Grind strips. I'm so glad they're doing this, for their sakes.. and mine!

I do hate the scrollbar, but frankly, the arrow key scrolls to the right in most situations and it's just a few inches from the mouse, so what're we griping about again?

Comment from: NthDegree256 posted at March 17, 2005 5:15 PM

Up and down, our scrolling options include arrow keys, mouse dragging, page up/page down keys, the spacebar, Home, and End. Plus, if your mouse has a scrollwheel, you get to roll it up and down to scroll, or click it in to start the page moving.

Left and right, we have arrow keys. And maybe scroll-wheel-clicking. BASK IN THE FREEDOM OF CHOICE.

Yeah, okay, it's not a major gripe, but it's just something else worth considering when trying to make the interface as versatile, intuitive, and simple as possible.

Comment from: cartoonlad posted at March 17, 2005 5:35 PM

Most mice have that scroll wheel and -- at least in my case -- scrolling vertically with the wheel is an inutitive thing. There's no interruption in my reading. (If I didn't have scroll wheel, my left thumb naturally rests on the space bar. Bam and i'm scrolling vertically without a sense of interruption.) If I'm required to scroll horizontally, I have to step out of the moment and look for the scroll bar or down to the keyboard to find the right arrow key before I can continue reading. The dialogue between the image and the viewer is interrupted.

Comment from: Greg Dean posted at March 17, 2005 5:55 PM

Comment from: alpaca2500 posted at March 17, 2005 7:01 PM

"Or, you know... if you just click the button, it allows you to scroll whatever direction you move the mouse. :D"

that was my first thought too...

also, some new microsoft mice actually have horizontal scroll with the mouse wheel...

Comment from: kirabug posted at March 17, 2005 9:36 PM

Sean Conner -

The problem I found with using multiple files per comic (one per panel) is that all of the comic content management software assumes you have one file per day. Do you know of one that allows multiple files per day? 'cause some of my comics get pretty darn big too.

Greg Dean - Click and scroll wherever works fine if you've *got* a mouse, but there's no "click a button and scroll wherever" on my mac laptop. (Heck, I'm lucky I've got a button at all, with Apple's love of simple interfaces.) Though I *could* retrain my Wacom pen.... but that sounds a lot like work.

Comment from: jjacques posted at March 17, 2005 10:16 PM

Kira: I'm sure one could put together a PHP script that would upload and then display multiple files at the same time, either linked in the database by timestamp or some other means. If you've got any friends who are familiar with PHP and one of the various SQLs, they could probably whip something up fairly easily.

Comment from: kirabug posted at March 17, 2005 10:28 PM

Jeph - Thanks for the tips... I've kind of resigned myself to sitting down and learning PHP one of these days to build the content management software i want. My friends - and I love them - are still trying to figure out how to code images using the BBCode on my forum.

I think one of the neatest things about webcomics is that, in order to really produce a good one, most people turn out to be artist, writer, and geek all in one package.

Comment from: cartoonlad posted at March 17, 2005 11:06 PM

The problem with what Greg's saying is not all mice that have scroll wheels have that click and scroll feature. Right now, if you plan on having a side scrolling website, you should also realize that a good number of your readers will have to pause to navigate. This will interrupt these readers and not allow them to be fully immersed in your work.

This is similar to the old problem with web design. Several years ago, 800x600 pixels was the standard monitor resolution. It took years before the number of people viewing websites at the higher 1024x768 resolution equaled the 800x600 crowd. The problem was not in manufacturing monitors and display cards that could utilize the better resolution; it was a matter of getting these display devices into the consumer's hands. Likewise, we'd have to see this non-intrusional mouse-click and scroll feature incorporated into the current generation of mice as a standard feature, then wait until these mice became commonplace. Right now, we're not at the first step -- my six-month old Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse do not have that feature. (I do not know if Logitech will be offering that feature in new or upcoming mouse models.) The second step, waiting for the technology to become commonplace, may take longer than the monitor switch. After all, how often do you replace your mouse or track new changes in mouse technology?

Until those conditions are met, you should assume that your readers will not be able to read side-scrolling comics without interruption.

Comment from: Shadowydreamer posted at March 19, 2005 1:30 AM

Re: Multiple Images.

I use Keenspot Lite (you can download it from Keenspot) and you just name your images tuxandbunny20050319a.jpg tuxandbunny20050319c.jpg ect.

And what's really neat is if you put in a .txt file by the same name of the image of the day (or the last image if multiple) it will put up the text after your images.

Comment from: Theogrin posted at March 19, 2005 3:11 AM

This one reminds me, for some obscure reason, of the Perry Bible Fellowship. It may be due to the last panel's hard-hitting manner; one might say that it just downright rocks.