« [weds] Falling Out of Love with the God Shot II (Interlude: Background) | Main | I have this horrible feeling this is all supposed to be symbolic, too. »

Eric: I'm home! And alive! And Jesus Christ am I tired!

I... don't know what else to write that the subject didn't cover.

Oh, except this. Vermont needs to WIDEN and STRAIGHTEN its ROADS.

This is the fourth time I've gone through that state at night, convinced I'm about to plunge off a cliff, into a cliff, or squeal into oncoming traffic whilst going significantly below the speed limit.

But I survived it again!

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 21, 2005 10:57 PM

Comments

Comment from: Tangent posted at March 21, 2005 11:14 PM

Welcome home, my friend. I'm glad you're safe and sound... and that you enjoyed yourself

Take care, and sleep well :)

Rob

Comment from: Shadowydreamer posted at March 22, 2005 12:09 AM

Vermont is just trying to keep you.

Congratulations on foiling that sneaky states plans!

Comment from: lochinola posted at March 22, 2005 7:48 AM

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 22, 2005 10:14 AM

Would it have been a bad thing to lose those novels?

I mean. Seriously. We have to have been able to live without a couple.

Comment from: jpcardier posted at March 22, 2005 1:46 PM

From lonchinola:

"But without those roads, how many Stephen King novels would never have been written?"

Stephen Kings lives in Maine, not Vermont. Mind you, I've never been and it might be spitting distance into Vermont. But Bangor, Maine is where he's at.

From Wednesday:

"Would it have been a bad thing to lose those novels?

I mean. Seriously. We have to have been able to live without a couple."

Geez Wednesday. Liking Chick and dissing King? I'm just not sure what to say ;P.

Seriously though, the man is an incredibly powerful writer at the top of his form. Talisman and It remain incredibly vibrant novels. On Writing is one of *the best* books on writing I have ever read.

And the Gunslinger series? He managed to make a long haul epic work of fiction that maintained it's energy throughout the series. Mind you, I'm still not sure of my opinion of the end...

Is he erratic in quality? Definitely, but show me a prolific writer who isn't. Does he publish a lot of books? Yes. But he remains an incredibly skilled writer.

Comment from: Tangent posted at March 22, 2005 1:56 PM

Let's put it this way.

After reading Stephen King's "On Writing" I wrote an 88,000 word novel. It inspired me to start writing seriously again, something I'd not done in years (outside of fanfics which don't really count).

So I, for one, am glad he's still around and still writing.

Robert A. Howard

Comment from: TheNintenGenius posted at March 22, 2005 3:36 PM

Since we're on a King tangent, I can definitely agree that there are a couple of books that King has written that really didn't need to see the light of day (King's The Tommyknockers is quite possibly the only book that left me LIVID by the time I was finished reading it. God, what a horrible waste of my time.) On the other hand, you really can't deny how great some of his novels have been (The Stand is still one of my all-time favorites, not to mention books like Misery, Carrie, Cujo, and The Shining).

I'm actually kind of sad in a way that I haven't had a chance to read some of his more recent work (especially the last three Dark Tower novels) as Stephen King was practically all I read through middle school and the beginning of high school. Hell, I quite literally read almost every single book he put out up to Black House. This may or may not say something about me, but I don't especially care. I think he's a great writer, what can I say?

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 22, 2005 8:27 PM

Chick/King isn't a useful comparison for the most part.

Comment from: jpcardier posted at March 22, 2005 8:34 PM

Wednesday Wrote:

"Don't get me wrong; I am all about both Carrie and On Writing (especially Carrie, which basically got me through the last bit of grade *mumble* intact in some respects: "hey, at least I can kill people with my mind now"). But, after Carrie, pretty much every bit of fiction of his I read was a letdown. Every few years, I try to go back and prove I was wrong, and every few years, I'm disappointed."

Fair enough. Have you read the Talisman? I think it's one of his best (albeit with Peter Straub).

"It doesn't help that the Dark Tower material just doesn't interest me in the slightest, I suppose. Or that Pet Sematary pushes a good few of my trauma buttons without any sort of payoff."

To each their own. Dark Tower is quite good, in a mashup sort of way. And unlike most of the epic fantasy writers I am used to, he's completely unafraid of making his characters bleed and die as the story dictates.

"Chick/King isn't a useful comparison for the most part."

That twas a joke. Sorry if it came across as legitimate criticism.