« [weds] My Secret Scary Friend | Main | A day abroad »

Eric: Hey, I'd buy cookies from her.

(From Sluggy Freelance! Click on the thumbnail for full sized cookies!)

Clay Yount, as everyone who reads Sluggy knows, has been tapped as the new Saturday fill in artist. He's mostly working in Sluggy bits and pieces from "Bikini Suicide Frisbee Days," back in the days before... well, before the Cerebus Syndrome added depth and deep storyline to Sluggy. In fact, there was a strip a while back where Riff and Torg, sadder and wiser, drank beer and toasted "Suicide Bikini Days." Which is no doubt where Yount and Abrams got the idea.

I think this has always been part of what Abrams wants out of the Saturday postings -- something to harken back to simpler times and bonzo craziness, and Yount has a writing and art style that syncs up with that almost perfectly.

Today's strip hit well, because it featured a twist-concept that seems very Sluggyish to me -- the Riot Grrls Scouts -- along with a picture perfect Kiki. Plus hot angst chick. The combination seems very apropos to me. It feels like old school Sluggy.

So far, Clay Yount's doing well by his assignment. Here's hoping it keeps moving forward.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 19, 2005 12:30 PM

Comments

Comment from: RKMilholland posted at March 19, 2005 4:26 PM

Isn't Grrl Scouts an actual comic book done by someone else?

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at March 19, 2005 4:34 PM

Is it? I don't know from it, if so. But then, it's been shown time and time again that I don't know everything.

Though I do act like I do, and that's almost as good.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at March 19, 2005 5:47 PM

Well, when in doubt, research with Google.

Seems Jim Mahfood put out a four-part series called "Grrl Scouts" through Oni Press. Apparently, a mint issue worth 10-12 bucks now.

However, I've heard people make jokes about Grrl Scouts and Riot Grrl Scouts (with varying numbers of "r"s) for a while now... that's nothing new.

Angst Mints, though, those are new. And what does it say that my immediate thought was "where can I get a box of those?"

Comment from: Tangent posted at March 19, 2005 6:22 PM

Looks good enough to almost get me to start reading Sluggy again. Oh well, maybe on Saturdays only...

Comment from: e-monk posted at March 19, 2005 6:37 PM

Also, Grrrl, of Cat and Girl is a member of the similarly style Hipster Scouts.

Comment from: Mitch Clem posted at March 19, 2005 6:41 PM

Clay is amazing when it comes to guest strips. He just did one for Joe and Monkey's guest week a couple days ago, and it was awesome:

Here's the link to the strip.

Comment from: Kris@WLP posted at March 20, 2005 1:36 PM

When I was trading in comics other than the ones I publish, I picked up a couple issues of "Grrl Scouts."

*U*G*H*.

If your idea of heroines are a group of drug-dealing, building-tagging, backstabbing gangsta beyotches, you -might- like that series. Otherwise most sort of NOT.

Absolutely NOTHING positive in those stories to recommend them, unless you're of the "All humans are vile and despicable creatures" philosophy. If you are, you'll at least get the warm fuzzy of personal justification.

Comment from: gwalla posted at March 20, 2005 4:44 PM

Mahfood's art was a good fit for the Clerks comic, but I think he's generally very overrated.