« The Passion of the Sessler | Main | The problem with networking your second Tivo.... »

Eric: Evolutions and geekiness.

It was a night where work consumed. Issues kept me there until just about eight. And then, I needed emotional distance. So I drove. And drove.

But before that, I learned that my best friend, soul brother, and personal Spiritual Advisor, Frank Orzechowicz, has had a photograph selected for gallery showing, over in Ithaca. For whatever teeming masses happen to be in Ithaca, the show is at the State Of The Art Gallery from March 5 to April 5. This psyched the Hell out of me, and since we're moving into March Break at the school, I made arrangements to go hang in Ithaca for a few days, spend time with Frank and his wonderful wife (and no doubt seeing any number of other friends as well), and seeing this here art show for myself.

But back to driving. While out, I finally got a wireless adaptor that would actually work with my new used Tivo. Which it did. Then I hammered on it and my wireless network with sticks until it recognized. Now, the living room Tivo is speaking to the bedroom Tivo, so I can schlep video between them. And with Tivo2Go enabled, I can also slorp video onto my computer in the living room. (Though not the Powerbook, yet, because the Apple Tivo2Go client isn't ready yet.)

Oh, I can officially record two things at once now, too. But you knew that.

Of course, I can also migrate the video from the bedroom to the Tivo in the living room, which lets me burn it to DvD.

My sister, who generally reads Websnark, has just read this entry and realized that she is related by blood to the most titanic geek who has ever -- ever -- lived. I'm sad to say she is right. But I have a good time.

I leave you with this: Frank's photo, soon to be hanging in public exhibit? Is titled "The Sky Turns Bread."

He is so freaking cool.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 3, 2005 11:59 PM

Comments

Comment from: chaos cricket posted at March 4, 2005 12:30 AM

C'mon, embrace your geekiness! Don't be ashamed of it!

And "The Sky Turns Bread" sounds like the coolest name for a gallery show ever.

Comment from: kirabug posted at March 4, 2005 12:51 AM

Hey, do you read "As the Apple Turns" over at http://www.appleturns.com ? Because, y'know, being a Mac user, and being a TiVo user, you'd have to be crazy not to be reading it. There's like 7 years of archived news posts, but if you start maybe a month ago or so, you'll get the feel for it pretty quickly. That is, if you're crazy enough to not be reading it yet ;)

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 4, 2005 7:56 AM

Titanic?

You're sinking?

You've got Kate Winslet in you? Let her out. I need to know where to find a good foundation in Reading.

You're going to drown the teen idol Leo DiCaprio? Dude.

Also: Yay. Bread.

Comment from: Snowspinner posted at March 4, 2005 8:55 AM

A month or so ago, I found a great sale price on high definition TVs, and bought a 27" HD. I already had a tuner/DVR from Comcast, and so I was all set on that front. I had previously been using the tuner/DVR as a regular cablebox that fed into the ReplayTV, using it to catch second shows while the Replay watched the "main channel" as it were.

Then I got high def, and everything changed. I couldn't output the high def signal through the Replay, so I had to route that video signal to the television directly. I could have put the audio through the Replay, but then there would have been a slight audio delay, because the Replay has a small delay over the regular signal. Which basically meant the high def wasn't going to go through the replay, no way, no how. Which would have been fine, except the HD tuner/DVR had limited space if you recorded in highdef, meaning I couldn't get all my shows onto it. So I still needed the Replay.

So now I've got a second cable box, which I have put in my rack backwards so it doesn't pick up remote signals, that exists purely to drive the ReplayTV while my primary cablebox (The Tuner/DVR) outputs itself directly to the television.

That is to say, I did a variation on what you did... only I took out the second television and just used two DVRs on one TV.

You got nothing, Burns. You got nothing.

Comment from: David W Boyd posted at March 4, 2005 9:51 AM

Eric, Snowspinner,

I've got two cable boxes and two TiVos also, all connected wirelessly. So take comfort. There's plenty of us out there. Hell, even Kibo has two TiVos.

And Snowspinner? I'm sure that turning the second cable box backwards is working for you, but if you'd rather have it frontwards, may I suggest a Post-It colored black (via magic marker) placed over the infrared sensor?

Comment from: Snowspinner posted at March 4, 2005 12:41 PM

And jeopardize my precious geek with a pile of wires aesthetic? I think not!