« A fast addendum to the last snark | Main | Day two of the MT Blackout.... »

Eric: A different IM conversation. Adium is getting a workout today.

(From Schlock Mercenary. Click on the thumbnail for full sized It's crazy but it just might work!)

(11:44:16) Brian H.: ...
(11:44:25) Eric B.: ...?
(11:44:32) Brian H.: Howard Tayler is beginning an evacuation of the Milky Way Galaxy.
(11:44:38) Eric B.: Yes. Yes he is.
(11:44:42) Eric B.: Doesn't it rock?
(11:44:51) Brian H.: I mean, he's not, so far, showing the characters at anything other than the planning stages for SOME of them...
(11:45:08) Brian H.: But do you realize this means he officially just put himself in the planning stages for something Doc Smith didn't do?
(11:45:13) Eric B.: "Wups! Destroyed the galaxy. Right! Now what?"
(11:45:14) Eric B.: Yup.
(11:45:20) Eric B.: Semi-hard, no less.
(11:45:24) Brian H.: Yeah.
(11:45:32) Brian H.: That's gotta be some sort of a record, or something.
(11:46:12) Eric B.: Yeah. I mean... wow.
(11:46:14) Brian H.: If a guy's got the stones to challenge the Doc, it should be recognized.

So true. So true.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 30, 2005 12:39 PM

Comments

Comment from: lochinola posted at March 30, 2005 1:20 PM

Whaddya mean, semi-hard? This science fiction is rock hard. He built a consistent set of rules.

As new tech is discovered, people discover defenses against it. The science is still being discovered, still evolving. And his description of what's going on, while put in layman's terms, are totally consistent with everything he's put out there before.

Hard sci fi. Gotta love it.

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright posted at March 30, 2005 1:27 PM

It has so many elements of space opera (which I am not using in a derogatory way -- I *love* space opera) that I could never be wholly comfortable calling it pure "hard SF." But it's not really a pure space opera either. It's a magnificent fusion of both genres. I weep.

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells posted at March 30, 2005 1:39 PM

Admittedly, though, there were those ghosts haunting the Post-Dated Cheque Loan. Plumbing difficulties, indeed. As a fervent devotee of soft SF, I hold out hope that those never get explained away.

Comment from: Shadowydreamer posted at March 30, 2005 1:46 PM

I wish I could read the font used by the second character to speak. I'm sure it would make sooo much more sense if I could. :(

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 30, 2005 1:50 PM

I'm just going to sit back and watch you people talk about how hard it is.

Never let it be said I'm not impressed by SF definitions as innuendo.

Comment from: John posted at March 30, 2005 2:29 PM

Miss White, it is all the harder now that you're here.

Comment from: Brandon E. posted at March 30, 2005 3:12 PM

I'd say semi-hard is a perfect description. His science isn't always sound but it's consistent in his universe (or if there is in inconsistency he adds rules till it fits).

I love Schlock Mercenary and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 30, 2005 3:20 PM

John: That's Ms., thank you very much. :)

Comment from: larksilver posted at March 30, 2005 4:59 PM

I think the best thing about reading Websnark isn't the new comics I discover (although that's way up there on the list, of course!), but the rediscoveries.

My pc died on me last year, then when I finally had my favorites list rebuilt (I thought so, anyway), the laptop died - darn electrical storms! Then I rebuilt it on the work PC, only to have the IS folks go and delete my profile by accident. Now, I have a new PC at home, and have carried everything from work over to home.

Every time I think I've got the list rebuilt, I'll stumble across a link or a Snark that reminds me of something. It's a joy of mine to think "Oh! I knew I was still missing something!" and rush over to add it to my list, and catch up from months of missed comics. It's like meeting an old friend.

I have of course learned from my stupidity and now have a backup of my list, but the damage was done. Thank you for reminding me of some of my favorites, Schlock there included. Who cares if it's Hard or Soft Sci-Fi? It's FUN, always THERE, and nearly always GOOD. And it's an old friend I've just run into again, thanks to you. Thank you.

Comment from: John posted at March 30, 2005 5:15 PM

*Ms.* White, thank you for the correction. I seem to be going soft.. in my manners.

Comment from: MelSkunk posted at March 30, 2005 5:36 PM

I know, my head was whipping around. Mainly because I was reading stuff on the Kardashev scale earlier this week, and realised most SF I like has not, in fact, left this galaxy. It's a rare, rare beast that dares to actually move OUT into space in any serious way beyond the warmth of mother Milky Way.

I mean, it's super ballsy, when you look at it that way. Even suggesting going to Andromeda is hard-core, let alone destroying our galaxy behind us.

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright posted at March 30, 2005 5:42 PM

Well he hasn't actually destroyed it yet. And Howard, being sneaky, may find a way to avoid doing so...

Comment from: Alex Cline posted at March 30, 2005 5:52 PM

Dude, Adium is amazing beyond all words...

That comic wins because it is sci-fi with *poop jokes*.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 30, 2005 6:17 PM

Is sci-fi with poop jokes meant to be hard, then? What's the contemporary poop texture wisdom?

Comment from: quiller posted at March 30, 2005 6:59 PM

Hard SF with poop jokes is better than SF with - nope I can't go through with it.

Comment from: Howard Tayler posted at March 31, 2005 9:28 AM

When you think "poop" you tend to think "soft." "Schlock," however, is a harder word, thanks to the CK sound at the end. Thus, in order to more seamlessly juxapose "poop" humor into "hard SF," I simply call the poop jokes "scatological."

"Schlock Mercenary: where onomatopoeia is more than just 'BLAM.'"

Comment from: Howard Tayler posted at March 31, 2005 9:29 AM

"Schlock Mercenary: where onomatopoeia is more than just 'BLAM.'"

Comment from: Howard Tayler posted at March 31, 2005 9:31 AM

Sorry for the double-double post-post. It said "internal server error," and then I clicked some stuff, and reloaded, and then POW! Twins.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at March 31, 2005 11:01 AM

Mr. Tayler, you have just won me over. Hard.

Comment from: Howard Tayler posted at March 31, 2005 11:19 AM

Thanks, Wednesday. I like to hear that.

"Schlock Mercenary: winning new readers two posts at a time."

Comment from: TheNintenGenius posted at March 31, 2005 11:21 AM

I've actually been re-reading the comic since this snark, putting it back on my list of webcomics to check regularly. (I stopped reading it at about the same time I stopped reading a ton of other webcomics for no reason other than falling out of the habit, so it was nothing that Schlock Mercenary did to drive me away). I'd forgotten just how great this comic is, really.

Comment from: Groon posted at April 1, 2005 8:27 AM

Christ, what the fuck are you faggots masturbating about? This storyline is almost parallel to when the first ship got destroyed, only instead its a GALAXY! OH NO!!!

Comment from: jeremiahsmith posted at April 1, 2005 8:54 AM

Someone needs a hug.

Comment from: Peter Jensen posted at April 2, 2005 10:38 AM

I've been reading Schlock since the first Schlocktoberfest and I can't say that I see any of the parallels you seem to be so confident of.

Comment from: jeremiahsmith posted at April 2, 2005 11:25 AM

The parallels are obvious. Something really bad is going to happen and the heroes don't know how to stop it. It's not like it's an archetype or anything. He probably stole the whole concept of "heroes can't avert a disaster" from the "Speed" or something. I mean, geez, Howard just oughta stick the recycling symbol in the corner of his comics. Next thing you know, he's going to make someone tell a pun! AGAIN!