« You know, I haven't had salsbury steak in years. | Main | Seriously, dude. What is it with this week and penis jokes? Did I miss a memo? »

Eric: It's not screaming the name during sex that's the problem. Murmuring "g'night, [name of Ex]" when mostly asleep and lying next to a different girl? That gets you murdered.

(From Sinister Bedfellows. Click on the thumbnail for full sized panic!)

I don't know how to classify Sinister Bedfellows. It's a webcomic. With photos. But it's not a photo webcomic. It has no characters, yet it has a voice. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Lore Brand Comics, only Lore specifically goes for the Funny, and I don't think McKenzee has any mandate.

It's almost like a series of Koans. The photography sets a mood, and the words either reinforce that mood or set apart from it in juxtaposition. I don't go into the next day's Sinister Bedfellowing with any expectations except that I'll think "oh, cool." And that's about right.

There is the occasionally profound piece, too. Such as:

(No, this isn't a double-snark. This is a critical essay. I'm using examples from the work. It's English Comp all over again. Hey, screw you! Consistency is for squares!)

It's the subtlety of the reinforced message, the imagery, and the allusion that get me, here. (For those of you who don't know the Bible by heart, Genesis 1:27 says "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." KJV, for those playing along at home, because King James commissioned himself some pretty language.)

In the end, I can't classify this as any specific type of webcomic. I can only classify it as art.

And that's all the classification needed, isn't it?

Posted by Eric Burns-White at October 15, 2004 2:43 PM

Comments

Comment from: Patrick Harris posted at October 15, 2004 3:47 PM

Hmm. It's almost the exact same format as A Softer World, which by the way you should really read (I think it'll appeal to your sense of humor). I think we might have a new genre on our hands.

Comment from: Gamethyme posted at October 15, 2004 3:51 PM

I was also going to suggest A Softer World - which has been around longer and (quite frankly) is better. A Softer World has freqently made me laugh in horror or cry in relief.

This ... it comes across as a clumsy knock-off.

Comment from: Alexander Danner posted at October 15, 2004 4:11 PM

I'll definitely be checking this one out. But in the spirit of pointless repetition -- yeah, A Softer World is good stuff.

Comment from: mckenzee posted at October 15, 2004 4:16 PM

Thanks for the snark!

For the record, I like A Softer World, but I don't think our strips are that similiar. Still, I'm flattered to be compared to Emily and Joel's work.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at October 15, 2004 5:14 PM

I like what I've seen of A Softer World, but there's more correlation between the imagery and the words, in a way. A Softer World has something of a "Jim's Journal" antihumor thing going, with the aesthetic of an Indy film. Which is seriously cool.

Sinister Bedfellows feels more like a sketchbook -- snapshots of the world setting a tone, with words suggested by it or in antithesis to it.

They're not wholly dissimilar, but I don't think Sinister Bedfellows is a "knockoff" of Softer World any more than I think Narbonic and Nukees are knockoffs of each other (I have no idea off the top of my head which came first) because they both have mad scientists in labcoats in them.

In other words, I don't usually mistake the medium for the premise, or the premise for the strip.

That being said, I'm liking what I'm seeing in A Softer World, and thanks for the mentions of it.

Comment from: alpaca2500 posted at October 16, 2004 2:14 AM

softer world is the first thing that came to my mind to... i'd never heard of this one before. i think it looks good so far though.